Its great to be back online and able to participate in Slow Cooking Thursdays again.
I, of course, sought my recipe from what has now become my stand-by: Fix It and Forget It Lightly.
I bought a head of cabbage at the Farmer’s Market two weeks ago that was as big as a bowling ball – easily 8-10 pounds. I couldn’t resist – it was only $2.00! Anyway, since then, I have made stir fry, cole slaw and still had 2/3 of the head left and wanted to see if there was any way I could use a little more of the monster. I found the perfect recipe: Casserole for Skinnies.
Naturally I adapted it to fit my ingredients, but the results were extremely tasty!
Don’t forget to check out the other great recipes!
Casserole For Skinnies
adapted from Fix It and Forget It Lightly
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6/8 ribs of celery, chopped – I used 2
- 1 1/2-2 lbs extra lean ground beef – I used ground chicken
- 2 15 oz cans low sodium stewed tomatoes – I used three fresh tomatoes, chopped, plus 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 2 15 oz cans of green beans, drained – I used fresh, raw green beans
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 3-4 cup water – I used none and it still had plenty of liquid in it when it was done
combine all ingredients and cook on low 7-9 hours