We like stuffed peppers in this house, and let me tell you – we liked these even better! They were so full of flavor – I do believe I found me a new standard when it comes to stuffed peppers!
I did make a few alterations to the original recipe. The recipe called for bulghur, which I did not have, so I used old fashioned oats. I also used a can of diced and drained tomatoes instead of un-drained stewed ones. The only other difference is that I had reduced fat feta with basil and tomato, and I used Adobo instead of salt & pepper. Oh, and I added more oregano than it called for. Hmmm… I guess I changed more than I thought!
In any case, we loved them! Thank you for giving us a chance to try them out! Check out the site to see everyone else’s blogs and see what they thought! See you next Thursday!
Greek – Style Stuffed Peppers
from The Food You Crave
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated (about 2 cups)
- 1 small onion, minced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup bulghur
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, cores and ribs removed
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans low-sodium stewed tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl combine the beef, spinach, zucchini, onion, bulghur, egg, oregano, salt and a few grinds of pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Arrange the pepper halves cut side up in a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and fill each pepper half with the meat mixture. Pour the tomatoes over the peppers and sprinkle with the feta cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until the meat mixture is completely cooked and the peppers are tender, about 25 minutes longer.